As few as ten years ago, many had not realized the need for ministries that were for a particular gender. Today, most Adventists are aware of, are involved in, or support a gender-based ministry, with women’s ministry leading the way. Nevertheless, the men’s ministry director also fills an important role in the church, in that he works to encourage, lead, and nurture men who serve as brothers, husbands, fathers, and ministry leaders. The director is responsible for organizing, planning, and directing programs that will meet the unique spiritual and emotional needs of the men of the church.
The men’s ministry has often been chased by the big-screen TV and Super Bowl stereotype. It is your duty to lead the men of your church, as well as their families and the church-at-large to a new understanding. The men of your church need to come away from the men’s ministry gatherings better equipped to serve the church, their families, and each other. “For you have been called to live in freedom—not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, but freedom to serve one another in love” (Galatians 5:13, New Living Translation).
Duties of the Men’s Ministry Director
1. Develop and conduct on a periodic basis a wide variety of programs and activities that will meet the various contemporary needs of a diverse male constituency.
2. Encourage and facilitate meaningful spiritual, mental, and emotional growth among the men of the church.
3.Work with a small administrative committee to make plans and policy.
4. Communicate with the church secretary and pastor when scheduling programs.
5. Serve as the conference men’s ministries representative to the local church.
6. When requested assist the conference director in planning meetings that are for the benefit of all the men of the conference.
7. Serve as a communicator of news of interest to men that is disseminated from the division, union, and conference men’s ministries programs.
8. Mentor someone else in this ministry.
9. Report to the family ministry committee and/or church board.
Spiritual Gifts Desired
Encouragement, administration, shepherding.
Responsibilities in the Local Church, by the Church Resources Consortium, North American Division of Seventh-day Adventist Church. Copyright © 1997, Revised 2002.
North America Men's Ministries website